Make Time for What Matters Most: Find the Right Free Project Management Tool for You
As a freelancer, your success largely depends on your time management skills.
But what do you do when faced with several projects unattended? That's where project management tools come in.
A project management tool is a program or piece of software that you can use to plan, track and organize your projects.
It can create and manage project plans, track progress and milestones, assign tasks, and collaborate with team members.
It's essential for any freelancer to have a good grasp of project management skills to help keep your workflow organized and efficient.
But the skills can prove useless without the right tool to work with, right?
This blog post will cover the best free project management tools for freelancers and their benefits.
We'll also give tips on getting the most out of your project management tool. Stay tuned for more.
The Benefits Of Using Project Management Tools For Freelancers
Project management tools can be beneficial to freelancers in the following ways:
- They can help you keep track of your projects and deadlines.
- They can also help you communicate more effectively with clients and team members.
- Last but not least, they can help you to stay organized and on track overall.
How To Choose The Best Project Management Tool For Your Needs
There are many project management programs out there, thus choosing one from a wide pool of tools can be an uphill task.
Therefore, you should consider the following when choosing a project management tool:
- What kind of features do you need? Create a list of the most important features you require from your project management tool.
- How much are you willing to part with? There are both free and paid options available.
- How user-friendly do you need the tool to be? Some tools have a learning curve, while others are more intuitive.
Get The Most Out Of Your Project Management Tool
- Select the best tool for your needs. Take some time to research the different options available and determine which will best fit your working style and your projects.
- Make sure you're getting full utility. Once you've chosen a project management tool, ensure you take advantage of all its features.
- Stay organized. A project management tool can only do so much if you're not organized. Ensure you track deadlines, assigned tasks, and progress on each project.
- Keep communication clear. One aspect of importance in any project is clear communication. Use your tool to update everyone on deadlines, changes, or anything else that might come up during a project. This will help avoid confusion and keep everyone on the same page.
- Be flexible. When something throws off your plans, be flexible and adjust accordingly.
The goal is to complete the project successfully, so don't hesitate to change things up if necessary to make that happen. We'll show you our list of top project management tools.
Asana is one of the market's most popular project management tools today.
It's simple to use and has a great mobile app, making it easy for you to stay organized and focused.
It helps you plan and manage your projects and communicate with your team members. It can also help you track project milestones and progress to keep your team fully on track.
Asana initially targeted teams looking for an easier way to collaborate on projects. However, that should not discourage you since the marketing tool is also available for individuals.
It is one of the must-have project management software for any freelance business. I don't think a serious freelancer misses Asana in their collection of tools.
It provides a clear breakdown of every project. Therefore, you can monitor your projects and prioritize the ones needing timely attention.
With Asana, you use Kanban boards to view your tasks and subtasks. They can appear as a list or regular timeline.
This project management software is unique because it focuses mainly on time management.
It allows you to track your tasks in real-time, besides helping in process automation to ease job flow.
- It has a calendar that will help you meet your deadlines.
- It is versatile enough to be integrated with other tools and services, making task automation seem like a walk in the park.
- It has an inbuilt workflow builder that will help your team to organize workflows.
- It has a timeline feature that gives you a sneak peek at your task flow and helps you track them.
- The board tool will be crucial in helping you and your team view the task at hand.
- It allows you to create reports, thus making it easier to assess the project progress.
This software is very user-friendly and has a wide range of features. Even the free forever plan comes with numerous useful features, and it allows integration with more than 200 other tools such as Slack, Harvest, and Dropbox, etc. Additionally, it has a professional appearance.
It is overwhelming and challenging to use, and it can be quite pricey for larger teams.
As a freelancer, you're responsible for the deliverables and managing the project from start to finish.
Therefore with Trello, you can create boards for each project and use lists and cards to keep track of everything that needs your attention.
You can also add due dates, comments, and attachments to each card. This will help put you and your team on the same page.
Trello also has mobile apps that will enable you to gain access to your boards and cards.
Of all the best project management software available, Trello is one of the easiest.
Trello uses Kanban to organize lists in a rather fashionable and transparent manner. You can use the boards to invite other parties to collaborate on tasks.
Everything happens visually. Therefore you can select a task that you left hanging and requires priority.
It is straightforward to use. Its drag-and-drop feature helps switch tasks and card locations. No expertise is required to utilize this project management app.
Trello is similar to Asana regarding process automation and real-time tracking. Furthermore, it allows you to create cards and attach documents and comments within those cards.
As if that's not enough, the free version is free forever!
- It is packed with boards and cards to help you organize your tasks and subtasks.
- Like Asana, it seamlessly automates workflows.
- It has plugins.
- It provides templates for task management.
- Everything is visible from a centrally located dashboard.
It is noted as being simple to use and easy to understand, which could be a real selling point for users who value ease of use. It also appears to be a user-friendly and flexible tool. Additionally, the Kankan board view provides a fantastic view. This platform allows users to drag and drop files, making it easy to organize and manage content. Another standout feature is the customizable dashboard, which allows users to tailor the interface to their specific needs and preferences. One of the most significant advantages of this platform is that has no limit to team size in the free plan. Furthermore, it has bigger storage capacity than some other comparable tools.
This tool is not suitable for large or complex projects as it can be challenging to keep track of all the tasks and subtasks. Additionally, some users may find it difficult to use and it lacks time tracking capability. The free plan has a limitation of only 10 boards and users may also face limitations when it comes to file transfer. Some essential features are also lacking in the free plan.
Coda is a powerful project management tool that offers an innovative way of managing projects and tasks.
It helps teams break down complex tasks into achievable goals, prioritize and assign tasks to team members, track their progress in real-time, set reminders and deadlines, keep everyone informed with updates and organize conversations with its built-in messaging system.
Coda also comes with dozens of well-designed templates that cover almost any need one may have in project management—from bug tracking to customer support to product development, making it easy to onboard even the most inexperienced user.
There are many benefits of Coda as a free project management tool. It is an excellent tool for managing large projects with many moving parts.
- It allows users to create custom views for their projects and to quickly access project activity without having to search through multiple screens.
- It offers a wide range of features, such as task lists, scheduling capabilities, Gantt charts, workflows and notifications.
- It provides real-time syncing with all team members, so everyone stays updated about project progress which makes collaboration easier.
- Coda also includes an advanced feature that allows users to customize their own personal dashboards with information from other apps on the same platform.
- Coda also provides security settings so that all user data remains secure at all times.
This platform offers a lot of features that can scale with you as your business grows. Its user-friendly UI makes it easy to use. Additionally, it enables easy integration with other tools and services such as Google Drive, Dropbox, Slack, and more.
The free version of this tool offers limited capabilities, which may not be sufficient for some users' needs. Additionally, users may find it challenging to understand its table formulas, resulting in a potentially high learning curve.
Look no further if you're looking for a free project management tool packed with features.
Like Coda, Notion, allows you to easily create and manage projects, track deadlines, and collaborate with team members.
Notion integrates with various other apps, making it even more powerful.
It comes with an easy-to-use interface and many advanced features for documentation.
For instance, you can create a pad to jot down notes and points that will guide your task management process. With its features, you can create a creative project in no time.
It's a perfect option for a new freelancer searching for a free and efficient project management app.
You can use its Kanban board to schedule plans, add lists, and monitor files and photos. If you are looking to manage multiple projects within a single interface, Notion is a good choice.
However, it might not be a proper project management software for freelancers who don't work with documents.
- Helps in taking notes and organizing documents.
- Helps you visualize projects by providing views for calendars, boards and lists.
- Provides quick access to tasks and project details.
- Real-time collaboration with your team.
- Has notifications about active projects.
This tool helps keep track of projects and deadlines and offers customizable features to fit the specific needs of a project. It also supports team collaboration and provides several task templates for easy creation. Once familiar with the interface, it can be easy to use and has a simple user interface designed to maximize productivity. Additionally, it offers high-security levels through SAML sign-in options and different access levels to the task manager.
The interface of this tool may be initially confusing and challenging to navigate. The process of learning to use the features can also be tedious. For more complex projects, this tool may not have all the necessary features. Additionally, compared to other project management apps, this tool has more limited features. The premium version of this tool is costly, but it comes with more advanced features.
Overall, Notion will give you complete control of freelance projects. With its growing collection of premade templates, you will be able to quickly become more productive.
Honeybook is a powerful project management tool that allows businesses to organize, manage, and track tasks easily.
With custom workflow settings, templates for client communication and invoices, task-tracking tools and more, Honeybook helps make managing any project simple and efficient.
They also offer analytics and insights into resource management so businesses can measure ROI on their projects.
The tool's intuitive user experience makes it easy to use for both freelancers and larger teams.
This software offers a variety of features to help you manage your projects, including templates, proposals, invoicing, and payments.
- Provides features like tracking of client invoices, digital contracts and payments, client profiles to keep contact information all in one place, and custom-branded documents to help you provide a professional image.
- Has automated reminders for tasks, automatic time-tracking, budgeting tools, task assignments, file collaboration between team members, integrated CRM capabilities with project notes and an internal messaging system. Lastly,
- Allows users to create intuitive and beautiful project timelines that can easily be shared with clients to reduce miscommunication.
Honeybook can be used as a scratchpad for jotting down ideas and notes on the go. It can also keep track of deadlines and to-do lists in one place. Additionally, it can be used to create presentations or reports.
Sharing notebooks with other team members may be challenging unless everyone has access to the same notebook. Furthermore, it may be difficult to track changes made by other members unless communicated verbally or in another format. As projects become more complex, organizing information within the notebook may not be easy.
Kitchen.co is one of the best options out there. It's simple and has many useful features you need to manage your projects effectively. Plus, it integrates with various other tools to make your workflow smoother.
The tool is web-based and lets you easily track your projects, clients, and tasks.
With Kitchen.co, you can create unlimited projects, add an unlimited number of tasks to each project, set deadlines, and track progress easily.
- Offers task assignments, automated reminders and notifications, Google integration, task creation templates, calendar integration, history logs for each task, file sharing & storage within a project board and more.
- Kitchen.co has various integrations with popular services such as Trello and Slack, which help simplify managing complex projects.
- Provides custom dashboards for individual projects so members can easily see progress over time to stay on top of goals.
This tool enables users to view all upcoming deadlines in one place and easily create to-do lists that can be assigned to team members. It also facilitates file sharing and allows users to grant specific folder access to team members. Moreover, users can track the progress of their projects using this tool.
Tracking all the tasks assigned to team members may be challenging using this tool. Additionally, files can only be accessed by those who are invited to the project. Furthermore, the interface of this tool can be confusing to navigate.
Wrike is a great free project management tool for freelancers. It enables you to create projects, track tasks, and collaborate with your team.
It also has an exemplary user interface. The UI is easy to use and navigate.
From the look of things, it's easy to assume that all online project management software works similarly but that couldn't be further from the truth.
In Wrike, you can organize tasks, visualize projects, add project details, assign resources, and track time spent on tasks.
It is a free project management software for small teams and individual freelancers.
Time tracking us very useful to freelancers since hourly compensation is common.
- Has a drag-and-drop feature that seamlessly lets you share timelines with teams and clients.
- Can be integrated with Google, Microsoft and more.
- Has time tracking features to monitor multiple projects easily.
- Organize tasks and track project progress.
This tool is easy to use. It allows users to track progress in real-time, providing them with real-time updates on the project's status. Moreover, this tool comes at a reasonable price.
This tool has some limitations and lacks certain features that are available in more expensive project management tools. Additionally, there may be occasional glitches and bugs that could potentially disrupt workflow.
This tool is excellent for managing projects of all sizes and offers a free tier for solo users.
With ClickUp, you can create unlimited projects and tasks and track your progress with Kanban boards, timelines, lists, and more. Its integrations with popular apps like Google Drive and Slack make it very functional.
ClickUp is not only one of the best project management software but also a superb productivity tool.
Project management for freelancers can be easier by using ClickUp for monitoring task status and tracking projects.
Their mission is to become the single task and project management tool to end them all, so you wouldn't have to set up a to-do list and documentation app separately.
You can create individual tasks and simultaneously add them to your workflow.
It provides the traditional table and list view, and the ability to view your project in 15 different ways, including Kanban boards, Gantt Charts, and more.
In addition, you can set task management goals and view the task board in real-time as you or your team members are completing tasks.
Most project management tools don't offer this vast array of functionality, making it a great project management tool for freelancers and small to medium businesses.
- Has a customizable dashboard that allows you to add widgets for viewing your most important tasks.
- Has a visual timeline that provides clarity to your team about active projects.
- Gives you complete control over access to project details.
- Easier collaboration with teams and clients.
This tool is suitable for teams of any size and offers a very flexible and customizable project views. Features such as task dependencies, subtasks, and comments can enhance project management efficiency. Additionally, a robust mobile app is available, enabling users to track projects while on the go. This tool also allows integration with other useful tools, including Google calendar, Teams, and QuickBooks. Furthermore, the basic plan for this tool is completely free of charge.
For small projects with simple needs, too many features can be overwhelming when using this tool. Furthermore, menus and settings can be deeply nested, making them difficult to locate within the interface.
Teamwork.com is a project management tool that can help you seamlessly manage projects and tasks.
It has many features that make it valuable, including creating and tracking tasks, setting deadlines, assigning resources, and tracking progress.
This is one of the best project management tools for both teams and freelancers.
It can accommodate multiple users at the same time by creating different workflows for each group or team.
Teamwork will help you complete projects regardless of size or nature.
Its time-tracking capability allows you to monitor tasks, workflows and due dates for current and future projects.
You can also use other task management tools to schedule workflows and monitor task board milestones.
With teamwork in it's name, it is a great tool for collaborating with teams and clients on creative projects.
- Unlimited users imply that you can collaborate on a project with as many people as you can without spending much.
- The Kanban board feature gives you access to all available tasks.
- Ability to exchange and share ideas via the task board.
- It helps project managers and teams work more productively with features such as task management, file sharing, team chat, progress tracking and comprehensive reporting.
- Advanced project plans with Gantt charts to visualize tasks and deadlines easily.
- Teamwork integrates with popular tools like Slack, Google Drive, Dropbox, Trello and JIRA to enable seamless collaboration between different parties working on the same project.
- A mobile app for iOS and Android devices that enables users to access the software from anywhere at any time.
This tool helps users in managing projects and tasks efficiently by providing a several of features and tools. Its user-friendly interface makes it ideal for managing projects of all sizes. Additionally, this tool offers a free trial period, allowing users to test its functionality before committing to it.
There is a monthly fee for using it, which can be costly for some users.
It can be tough to decide which project management tool is suitable for you but using one is a must. It will save you tons of time and headache with managing projects, clients, communication, and collaborators.
Hopefully, this list has helped you narrow it down. Don't forget to do some research on each of these tools and see which one will work best for your needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a freelance project manager?
A freelance project manager is an independent contractor who assists businesses in planning, initiating, executing, controlling and closing projects.
What is the role of a freelance project manager?
They oversee a wide range of activities to ensure that the project is delivered on time, within budget and with the desired quality.
They also coordinate team meetings, handle communications with stakeholders and clients, conduct risk analysis and review process documents.
How do freelancers keep track of projects?
Keeping detailed notes of communications, tasks accomplished, and feedback received is essential for ensuring that all expectations have been met and that nothing slips through the cracks.
Time management tools like calendars and task lists may help freelancers stay organized when juggling multiple projects.
Additionally, many freelancers use project management software such as Asana or Trello for tracking due dates, scheduling tasks, collaborating with clients or team members, budgeting resources, creating timelines etc.
This website is supported by an awesome group of readers. If you buy products through affiliate links in this article, we may earn a small commission, at no cost to you.